Thursday, April 26, 2012

3KCBWDAY4 - A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?

So today's topic is about seasons?  Specifically, "How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?"

I live in Southern California, the seasons don't change all that drastically but boy when it's a rainy day I am super happy to snuggle on the couch under a crocheted blanket and hook away.  I pretty much crochet year round and don't notice a huge difference in the things I make seasonally.  I do not make clothing other then accessories so I can't say that I lighten up too much, though I suppose I don't really think much about making up fingerless gloves in the middle of 106 degree temps, but they are a small project so maybe.....
I did think that this would be a super easy topic to cover, but it seems as if I am floundering, here it is 11:48 in the morning and I have typed up a whole lot of nothing!

I guess that the weather outside will certainly dictate if I have a heavy blanket working across my lap or not, but  as far as the fibers I choose the weather will have nothing in that decision.  I can use any fiber in any weather.  I  do have different projects going and if it's hot I may pull out the granny square blanket that I am working on for Brooke since a small square doesn't need to sit on my lap.

Whereas Sam's blanket has gotten a bit bigger and blacker then just individual grannys.  


Speaking of black (or any dark yarn actually) though not weather related, definitely daylight related.  I can't work on Sam's blanket at night, simple DC's but I have such a hard time seeing the stitches I would rather sit in the sunlight and work on it! 

So there you have it, I might change slightly but overall I will still start a big ripple blanket in the summer, whether I let it sit in my lap or not is another story!

So day 4 wrapped up, not all that pretty and completely got away from me, but complete!  If you would like to enjoy other blogs on the same subject, just Google 3KCBWDAY4 and a nice long list of them will await!

Listening to:  Wings of a Butterfly by HIM



2 comments:

Tecrin said...

Granny squares are the perfect summer project! I really wouldn't dream of making a ripple or big one-piece blanket in summer, I almost break out a sweat just thinking about it ;)

BellaKarma said...

I think if we let So.Cal weather dictate what we knit or crochet, we wouldn't make anything larger than a dishcloth. ;-) I have noticed though, that I'll knit/crochet anything/everything all year long, but I do prefer to work on particular things either in the day or at night.

...and I love your black and pink blanket! It's one of my FAVORITE color combinations! :)